The club organizes bicycle rides from April to October, and beyond, weather permitting, for residents of Heritage Todd Creek (HTC). Anyone and everyone who meets the requirements for participation (see Club Rules tab) is invited to participate. The rides are generally on recreation paths, with some roads and gravel, of about 15 to 25 miles on mainly flat or rolling terrain within approximately one hours drive of HTC.
1. Follow the law
2. Leave plenty of space between your bike and the biker riding in front of you. Suggested distance is 1-2 bike lengths for every 10 mph.
3. Ride predictably and stay to the right of the trail
4. Wear your helmet (and other safety equipment)
5. Use hand signals (see illustrations below)
6. Share the road
7. Verbally inform the biker in front when you want to pass
8. Warn other users on the trail (e.g. walker, runner, or scooter) either verbally or with a bell or both, when you’re passing
9. You have the right-of-way from cars, but remember they are a lot bigger. Ride “defensively”.
10. When stopping for a break, move your bike to the right of the trail or off the trail completely to allow others to safely pass. Indicate verbally and with a hand signal to your fellow riders behind when the group is coming to a full stop.
11. Slow down and be extremely careful when approaching an underpass as there may be obstacles, water, ice, or mud in your path. Be aware that the changing light conditions from bright sunshine to shade of the underpass can adversely affect your ability to see these obstacles.
Rules/Requirements for Participation
· Bike riding has inherent risks which are assumed personally by each rider
· Each ride will have a coordinator who knows how to get to the trailhead and knows the route
· Rides will generally be between 15 and 25 miles. On “out and back” routes, there will be various places for turning around, if necessary. Please inform the coordinator or sweep (The sweep is the person assigned to follow the group of riders. The sweep is responsible for keeping the group together and for responding to issues that may arise), if you do so.
. The pace of our rides is between 10-12 miles per hour sustained over the 15- 25-mile ride. Please be aware of your capabilities before you commit to the ride.
· Rides are scheduled for Thursdays with starting times between 8:00 and 10:00 depending on the weather.
· Weather permitting, rides will begin in April and go through October, and on an ad hoc basis thereafter.
· All riders are required to wear a helmet.
· Your equipment should include a tube and inflation device, rain coat, hydration and a snack.
· Weekly emails will be sent by the coordinator indicating the ride route and will be posted to this website.
· Ride routes are included in the HTC Community newsletter and emails.
· If there is a change, an email will be sent by that week’s coordinator at least 1 hour before the ride.
· You will need to have the ability to transport your bike to the trailhead.